Thursday, June 13, 2013

Krabi: Of Diving, Motorbiking and Floating Lanterns

Flying off to Krabi on a whim was the kind of spontaneous decision I used to make when I was a university student, except now I had less time, more disposable cash, a scuba diving license and a few motorbike lessons under my belt. So in the short span of time it took between discovering air tickets on sale and paying for them online, it quickly evolved into a whirlwind adventure in my mind. I was determined to have a blast away from the monotony of the office.



Krabi doesn't fall into the category of holidays I generally like. It's commercialized, full of Caucasian tourists and bars line the beachfront. But it has a charm all of its own, and the sunsets there are amongst the most brilliant I've ever seen.



Diving was far from fantastic - though it was in season, the winds were uncharacteristically high and the waters murky. It was my first ever dive with my Halcyon backplate however, and the abundance of lionfish and a lazy leopard shark saved it from the absolute pits.





The next day, trips out to sea were cancelled on account of the swells. Stranded on the roadside, mellow from the seasickness medication and dressed in only my swimwear, I threw on a tank top and hopped on my scooter.



A few random turns around town later, I chanced upon a directional signboard with a familiar name on it - Phuket - and took it as a command from the higher-ups. Never mind that it was more than 200km away, my scooter could go up to 140! (As I discovered accidentally when idly keeping pace with other motorists.) And so commenced a 6 hour journey through the dusty roads of Thailand, the heat scorching me up from the asphalt and the sun alike, burning the shape of my shorts and bikini deep into my skin.



Back at my resort the evenings were spent on a quiet stretch of beach, or at a wood-furnished open air massage parlor I quickly declared my favorite in the area.



One night the baritone voice of a wonderful singer lured me into a beach bar, where he dedicated Que Sera Sera to me, and another night I lit a giant lantern and watched it float away into the stars. As I watched it get smaller and become slowly indistinguishable from the stars that dotted the night sky, and then in the blink of an eye into Nothingness, I wished fervently upon it for Happiness and Health and many more beautiful sunsets to come.



And indeed, those nights I was so happy and contented that I teared up as I lay on the beach, waves rushing at my feet, wind in my hair and the starry sky enveloping me... It felt almost like an epiphany. That there is immense beauty in simplicity and that happiness is in the way you choose to appreciate things in every day life.




No comments: